I love Mary’s Gone Crackers, but at $9 a box in Australia they are so expensive. So I got busy in the kitchen this weekend trying to recreate a similar cracker. Nona, my mum, is the genius here, she hit upon an amazing recipe that I actually prefer to the original. I ate about 5 straight from the oven! Not only are they healthy and full of fibre but they are easy to make and taste delicious.
Ingredients: Makes about 40 crackers
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast*
- 2 tbsp onion flakes
- 2 tbsp soy (or tamari sauce for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1. Soak flax seeds for 20 minutes
2. Blend all ingredients (including flax seeds) on medium speed. It’s ok if there are still chunks and bits as this will give the crackers more texture,
3. Roll out the dough. It needs to be reallythin, around 5mm. I put the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper which made it really easy. Using a cookie cutter, cut the crackers out of the dough.
4. Place into oven on lowest temp for 45 minutes or until crunchy.
*Nutritional yeast is added to give the crackers a cheesy, rich flavour. You can buy it from health food shops.