Its so chilly here in Sydney that I’m spending most of my evenings trying to perfect a way to drape myself over my portable heater in a way that warms me all over at once. To be honest, salad is really low down there on the foods I feel like eating right now.
But then two things happened that made me want to make this.
1. The sun came out for about 3 minutes and I was tricked into thinking it was summer and I decided a salad sounded good, so off I went to buy the ingredients.
2. I felt a flu-type thing coming on and figured I’d buy as many superfoods as I could, put them into a huge salad and hopefully that would scare away any insidious bacteria.
What’s a superfood?
The word superfood is a bit of a marketing term; there is no strict definition but generally, it refers to any kind of food that is packed full of nutrients. A food that is nutritious enough to earn its own hero status tickles me, I like to visualise little fruits and vegetables with capes and super powers going off saving the word, one antioxidant at a time.
I was inspired to make this after seeing a similar salad on my Instagram but I made a few tweaks to mine. All the foods in the salad I picked based on their amazing nutrient profile. Most fruits and vegetables are packed full of nutrients, phytochemicals and antioxidants so pack as many in as you can!
- 1/4 fennel bulb sliced thinly
- 1/2 avocado
- Handful blueberries
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- Handful rocket
- Fennel herb (taken from the bulb)
- 6 walnuts
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Juice of half a grapefruit
- Zest of half a grapefruit
- 1 tbsp chia oil
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Chops and slice your salad ingredients and mix up together in a big bowl.
2. Make your dressing by combining the ingredients and drizzling over the salad.
What are your favourite superfoods?